Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Security

My biggest concern of traveling was airport security. I heard horror stories of mortified moms having their bags ripped apart and milk tested very publicly. I was concerned I'd be there for hours convincing someone that my breastmilk was not an accelerant.

Turns out, not so much.

Airport security is going to be slightly intrusive. They have to be. One guy had a bomb in his shoe, another had a bomb in his pants. Come on people, we want to stay safe right? They are going to look through your purse, which in my case might be more embarrassing that going through my pump. I once found a molded orange in my purse so I have no idea what airport security might turn up. Plus, they are looking at the pump and the milk, not asking you to take your shirt off.

As I said before, I didn't bring the milk back with me due to the medication I was taking so I'm sure that made my trip a little easier. I put my shoes, phone and iPod into a bin and sent it through the machine. I then put my pump on the belt and held my breath. Both times the examiner called a female over and said "i think we have a breast pump." The female then asked me, I confirmed and she carried it to another table. Both times they used a piece of paper or something and just ran around the edges of the mechanism. There was no touching of the shields, no touching of the bottles, nothing like that. I didn't care. It took only a few seconds and I'm sure everyone felt much safer knowing my breast pump wasn't bringing down any planes.

For those of you traveling and checking luggage, don't check your pump. Airport delays and lost luggage happen and you don't want to be stuck without your pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment