Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Overly stocked

Someone asked me a question this weekend about engorgement. With a less-than-one-week-old son, she is having engorgement issues. I know she's web savvy and has probably Googled her soul away searching for an answer. And then she e-mailed me. I tried to help her, and here was my advice.
She's engorged on one side only and has trouble getting her baby to latch on.
My initial response was "congrats on your milk coming in!" I mean, it took me about a week to get a well-established supply and feel like I was getting something when I pumped.
So what are my engorgement tips:
  • Pump, pump, pump, hot shower, pump, pump, pump. Along with pumping, stop and start the pump a few times (If using a pump that has the quick suction to mimic the baby) and the quick suction at the beginning can help stimulate the letdown. It can take your body some time to adjust. Try not too pump for too long though, just for relief, because pumping leads to more milk production.
  • Warm compresses and cold compresses. I found the warm ones helped before pumping but the cold ones helped with pain.
  • Supportive nursing bras. Nothing hurts worse than waking up loose and engorged.
  • Nurse on only one side during a feeding and pumping for relief on the other to help the body regulate how much milk to produce. Offer the other side when the first side is completely soft.
  • Check the baby's latch.
  • Know that this will get better!
My friend also said she was using cabbage leaves to help with pain and milk reduction. Kellymom.com, one of my favorite resources, has instructions on using them correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment