Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Perfect Position

In the early days of nursing, I was mostly concerned with nourishing my child. I didn't care if I was sore. I didn't care if I had to contort my body into all sorts of different positions to get her to latch on. By God being a mother is about sacrifice and I was going to do whatever it took....that is until about three days in when I could no longer move and my back was kinked in a completely unnatural way.

Turns out, those nurses, books and lactation consultants are right. Getting the position correct is important, not only to a good latch but to your muscles and bones as well.

My first child was only nursed cross-cradle. I used a bed pillow or couch pillow and while I had a Boppy, it just never took. We were way better at balancing her on a pillow while I strategically moved to her. I was sore for nearly the entire six months that I nursed her. And I'm probably still out of whack because of it.

With my second, I started using the Boppy the second I got home. I didn't take it to the hospital because I never used it with my first and I didn't want one more thing to bring to and from the hospital. Her and I, well, we become Boppy addicts. I was able to get her to latch well when she was turning her head slightly to the left. So, we cross-cradled it on the right side and used the football hold on the left.

This is where I will impart some "do as I say not as I do" advice.

Don't do this. My kid ended up with a big flat spot on the left side of her head and the inability to cross-cradle on the left. And let me tell you, when they get so big, football hold is much, much harder because their legs can push off the furniture behind you.

I used to sit on my non-supportive couch with my legs folded under me, holding her in these positions until I just couldn't take it anymore. I called a chiropractor friend, got myself adjusted and started over.

I recommend sitting on a supportive piece of furniture. For us, this is the glider in her bedroom. i use the Boppy, even now, to stabilize her and cross-cradle on both sides. I sit back with my shoulders at a comfortable position and tilt and pull her towards me, not the other way around.

This is really, really important. Get into a comfortable position for you and then work with the baby. If you are uncomfortable every single feeding will hurt and all the time in between will be full of trying to stretch out the kinks. But find what works for you. Some like side-lying in bed. Some are okay balancing the baby while sitting in the middle of the floor. Others, like me, need a really supportive environment.

And if the kinks come, call a good massage therapist or chiropractor to get you all straightened out.

No comments:

Post a Comment