Pages

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nutrition

When my first daughter was born, I made my dad bring a sandwich to the hospital with actual deli meat. The kind they tell you to avoid when you are pregnant. When we got home from the hospital, my husband and I ordered from Jets (our local favorite). Part of a pizza, a Jet Boat, pop and a salad later, I was finally full. It had been so long since my stomach could actually fit more than a package of M&Ms in it and I was so excited to have food back-I wanted to eat everything in sight.

This is also due in part to the hormones and the breastfeeding as well.

The second time around was no different. The minute I gave birth I began clamoring for food. While hospital food is no good, the second you finally have some room for a meal, you will take it. However, as a nursing mom, I can respect the desire to eat everything in sight, you have to realize that you are still eating for two. While the diet isn’t a strict, it’s important to keep it well balanced.

One of my favorite breakfasts when I was nursing was oatmeal.

While there is no scientific evidence to support the claim, many nursing mothers, including myself, claim that oatmeal can help increase milk supply. Plus, it’s a good nutricious breakfast to start the day. It’s high in iron and oat bran, which are healthy in and of themselves. Women who use oatmeal to boost their supply say any form of oatmeal and even oatmeal cookies do the job.

For more information on this, you can visit Kellymom.com and search for oatmeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment